Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yellowstone Day 5, My final Day

Bull Elk, Yellowstone National Park
Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 w/TC14e II, ISO 500, f4.5, 1/160, +1/3ev

On day 5 I had limited time in the park so I could catch my flight home. At one point, I thought about not going into the park for the few hours I had. Well, I'm glad that I didn't skip out on it. My plan was to stay between West Yellowstone and Madison Junction and looking for the bull elk that had been hanging out there all week. It wasn't long before I found what I was looking for. There were several other people watching and photographing the elk harem. The bull elk was on the move, and not real close to me. 

I hopped back in the car and moved on to the Nez Perce Creek Road where there was a large number of bison hanging out all week. It was a cold night so I was hopeful that the bison would have frost on their backs. Again, my gamble paid off! There were bison everywhere along with the frost I was looking for. I made a few shots before I had to move on. 

On the way back to West Yellowstone the bull elk from earlier was still on the move, but this time he was much closer to the road. He was in a surly mood not allowing the females in the harem to wonder too far from him. If they did, he would lower his antlers and quickly round them up. This is one of my favorite photos from the day because I was able to include the females. 
I still have many photos to look through and share with you all. Thank you for following along with me on my trip. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places to visit. I look forward to heading back in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics! This is a good one!

    ReplyDelete