Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yellowstone Day 4

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 w/TC14e II, ISO 640, f7.1, 1/320

On day 4, I headed south to Grand Teton National Park. I woke up early so I could get to Oxbow Bend shortly after sunrise. Once I got to GTNP the clouds once again took over the skyline. I could see parts of Mt. Moran once I entered the park, but it was intermittently at best.

I headed further into the park to find out the clouds had taken over the Teton range as well. I wanted to photograph the Mormon Barns again, without the Teton range in the background I didn't see much point. From there I decided to head towards Moose Junction to look for moose. Just as I turned onto the main road I saw a moose standing in the middle of a field. Suddenly a second came out of the tree line then a third. As I was shooting a number of other cars had stopped to watch/photograph the moose. There was a young bull with two female grazing, but there was a fourth heading down the side of the hill. This one was a much bigger than the other bull. I couldn't believe it, right in front of me there were four adult moose with beautiful fall colors in the background. 

The other common area in GTNP to find moose in west on moose junction towards Wilson Road. I was about to turn onto Wilson Road when I saw 7 park rangers blocking the entrance. I drove past to grabbed a map of the park at the gate. The Ranger there told me there was a grizzly with two cubs on the road, and they wanted to keep in closed until the bears moved off the road. 

This was only the beginning of my adventure on Day 4. Check back to hear about my black bear, coyote and one of my favorite photo from the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment