Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Behind the Image: Field Sparrow

Field Sparrow
Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 w/TC-14E II @420mm, ISO 500, f6.3, 1/2000, +1/3ev, SB800 for fill

Chad and I were out on Friday April 29th, 2011 looking for eastern Bluebirds in a field filled with bird boxes. The key to any wildlife photographer is to know your subject that you are photographing. Chad and I watched the male bluebird chase away any incoming threats to his nest (mostly tree swallows). As we were watching the male bluebird and tree swallows chase each other around I noticed the familiar sound of a field sparrow calling. There were multiple field sparrows calling back and forth all morning long.

While photographing a male eastern bluebird, Chad saw the field sparrow calling from underneath the bluebird's box. Since the field sparrow was on the ground, I took my camera on the tripod and crawled on my belly down a slight hill towards my target.

Once I was in place, the field sparrow was busy calling for a mate and was unaware of my presence. The field sparrow hopped along the ground only landing on low laying perches. After a few minutes of shooting, I got the shot posted above. What I like about the photo is the intimate setting. The setting of the photo is this is were the field sparrow lives and spends most of his time. I was able to capture a small portion of this field life and how it looks and calls for a mate.

Chad and I as wildlife photographers capturing this moment is only part of what we love to do. The other part is showing other people that may not want to lay in a tick infested field a shot of a field sparrow calling in the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment